- 30-50% food produced is wasted.
- Copenhagen, one of the world’s “most sustainable” cities.
- 2.5 trillion kilograms; “a conservative estimation“.
- Global food insecurity.
- Covid-19 economic impacts.
- If Food Waste were a country, it would be the 3rd largest emitter.
- Global Food Waste: ~10% of global greenhouse gas emissions.
- Project Drawdown’s “The Drawdown Review” released in 2020.
- Project Drawdown’s Reduced Food Waste Solution.
- Denmark’s 2,700 grocery stores.
- Denmark’s supermarkets throw out 96 million kilograms of food waste, 12% of the nation’s total food waste.
- 251,000 Danish citizens live in economic poverty, of whom 61,000 are children.
- One of the “worst crimes in history”.
- 20% of global meat production wasted.
- Two out of every three farm animals now reared intensively.
- 50 billion chickens, 1.5 billion pigs.
- 545 million sheep, 444 million goats & 300 million cattle.
- Per person, industrialised nations waste much more food.
- Annual amount of food that’s wasted across Earth is equal to four times the amount of food that could end world hunger.
- “Feed the World“.
- One million animal & plant species threatened with extinction.
- 68% average decline in global vertebrate species’ populations.
- Agriculture using almost half of all the Earth’s ice-free land.
- Deforestation of tropical forests increased by 30% in the 2010s compared to the 2000s.
Nutrients & Chemicals
- Food System affecting planet’s key global nutrient cycles.
- Altering soil chemistry.
- Excessive synthetic nitrogen & phosphorus fertiliser use impacting freshwater ecosystems & creating 600 low-oxygen dead zones.
- Current pesticide usage “a systemic problem”.
- A “systematic underestimation of the risks” posed by pesticides when present alongside other synthetic chemicals.
- Likely lead to decrease in insect & bird populations & the contamination of groundwater & soils.